|Job title:||Trainee Solicitor|
|Reports to:||Supervising Partner/Senior Associate|
|Salary:||Not less than the Law Society minimum|
- To provide the trainee solicitor with the training, guidance and experience necessary to enable him/her to develop the key skills and expertise required to be an outstanding solicitor including:
- Legal and procedural knowledge.
- Proof reading.
- Attention to detail.
- Communication skills.
- Commercial acumen.
- Advocacy and presentational skills.
- Case and time management.
- Practice support.
- To become confident in dealing with clients and other professionals and to learn the ability quickly to earn the trust of clients and others in all dealings.
- To provide a valuable contribution to the work of each department to which the trainee has been allocated a seat, to assist each training principal with his or her daily workload and to provide practice support both departmentally and generally within the Firm.
- Comply with the procedures and standards set out in the Office Procedures Manual and with any and all relevant or appropriate professional and training standards, keeping a proper record of work done and training received.
- Carry out all reasonable instructions from senior staff promptly and enthusiastically.
- Undertake certain elements of fee earning work under supervision. In particular:
- Generation of suitable correspondence.
- Making attendance notes.
- Drafting contract and Court documentation.
- Attendance at routine directions/interlocutory hearings.
- Statutory and regulatory filings.
- Proof reading.
- Internal filings for monetary transactions.
- Land Registry applications, searches and requisitions.
- SDLT applications.
- Client interaction, remote and in person.
- Deal wherever possible with routine client and third party enquiries and communications.
- Manage the collation of matter start and matter completion data.
- Deputise for principals in their absence, passing urgent issues to another senior fee earner for guidance.
- Co-ordination of the key date reminder system as outlined in the Office Procedures Manual.
- Ensure that client matter files are kept up to date with correspondence and documents.
- Participate in the Firm’s marketing and networking strategies as directed.
- Shared general administrative duties undertaken with other trainees on a rota basis including:
- Opening and sorting incoming post.
- Franking external post.
- Ordering certain office supplies.
- Ensuring meeting rooms are set up and cleared before and after meetings.
Candidates must be or have:
- A minimum of a 2:1 degree from a reputable university.
- A strong desire to learn.
- Enthusiastic and ambitious.
- The ability to complete assigned tasks effectively and promptly.
- A cheerful personality.
- Adaptable and accommodating.
- A smart and tidy appearance.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- IT competent, particularly with reference to the use of Word and Excel.